Introduction to transport phenomena. Molecular diffusion of momentum (viscosity), of heat (conduction) and mass. Similarities and differences.
Molecular diffusion coefficients. Temperature and pressure dependence. Kinetic theory of gases. Theory of diffusion in liquids.
Introduction to mass transport. Definitions (concentration, velocity, flux etc). Fick’s law of diffusion. Mass diffusion and convection. Conjugate heat and mass transport. High mass transfer.
Conservation equations. Definitions (material system, control volume, intensive and extensive properties). Reynolds and Gauss theorems. Continuity equation. Mass conservation of species. Conservation of momentum. Conservation of energy. Vectors and tensors. Definitions, operations. Coordinate system transformation.
Simplification of conservation equations. Reduction of dimensions, Isothermal, inviscid, incompressible cases. Dimensional analysis. The concept of the boundary layer. Ordinary boundary conditions.
- basic concepts and mechanisms of diffusion of momentum, heat and mass
- dependence of diffusion coefficients on pressure and temperature
- parameters and physical laws related to the diffusion and transport of mass
- theorems used for the derivation of conservation equations for mass (simple substance or mixtures), momentum and energy.
- significance of non-dimensionalization and dimensionless numbers,
- Open Issues in transport phenomena
- Significance of transport phenomena in energy and environmental issues.
- analysis of mass transfer problems
- analysis of conjugate problems involving fluid mechanics and heat and mass transfer
- approximating complex mass transfer problems with appropriate assumptions
- efficient use of transport phenomena bibliography
- Solving mass transfer problems in practical applications
- Solving conjugate problems involving fluid mechanics and heat and mass transfer in practical applications
- solving conservation equations in simple transport phenomena problems
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes