Academic position: Professor
1999: Diploma in Mechanical Engineering from University of Patras,
2003: Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from the Dept. of Mechanical Engineering & Aeronautics, University of Patras,
1999-2003: Research Associate at the Institute of Structures & Advanced Materials,
2004-2010: Head of a Technical Department at I.L.P.A.P. A.E.,
2004-2007: Post-doctoral fellow at the National Technical University of Athens,
2006-2010: Post-doctoral fellow at the Laboratory of Technology & Strength of Materials, University of Patras,
1/2011-3/2014: Lecturer at the Dept. of Mechanical Engineering & Aeronautics, University of Patras.
4/2014-6/2019: Assistant Professor at the Dept. of Mechanical Engineering & Aeronautics, University of Patras.
6/2019-today: Associate Professor at the Dept. of Mechanical Engineering & Aeronautics, University of Patras.
He has participated in more than 20 national and international research projects. He has published 67 journal papers, 5 chapters in books and 82papers in conference proceedings. He is the co-editor of four international books. He is a reviewer in several scientific journals.
Five Recent Publications:
- P Bazios, K Tserpes, SG Pantelakis (2019). Numerical Computation of Material Properties of Nanocrystalline Materials Utilizing Three-Dimensional Voronoi Models. Metals 9 (2), 202
- E Moutsompegka, K Tserpes, M Noeske, M Schlag, K Brune (2019). Experimental Investigation of the Effect of Pre-Bond Contamination with Fingerprints and Ageing on the Fracture Toughness of Composite Bonded Joints. Applied Composite Materials, 1-19
- I Floros, K Tserpes (2019). Fatigue crack growth characterization in adhesive CFRP joints. Composite Structures 207, 531-536
- K Tserpes, C Kora (2018). A multi-scale modeling approach for simulating crack sensing in polymer fibrous composites using electrically conductive carbon nanotube networks. Part II: meso-and macro-scale …Aerospace 5 (4), 106
- K Tserpes, I Floros (2019). Fatigue crack growth simulation in adhesively bonded composite joints. Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures
Contact hours: Tuesday, Friday: 11:00-13:00
His research interests are in the area of computational and experimental strength of materials. Specific sectors are:
- Strength of composite materials,
- Strength of bonded and bolted joints between metallic and composite parts,
- Mechanical behavior of materials
- Mechanical behavior of carbon nanotubes, graphene, nanocomposites and nanocrystalline materials,
- Modeling and testing of multifunctional composite materials
- Multi-scale analysis of materials and structural parts,
- Development of methodologies for relating data from non-destructive testing with numerical strength prediction models,
- Strength prediction of corroded aluminum alloys
- Lightning strike damage of composite materials
COURSE CONTENT Atomic structure of materials, Structure of metallic materials: Crystal structure, structure imperfections, microstructure hardening mechanisms; Structure of composite materials: Definition, Components, Architecture,...
COURSE CONTENT The Nature of Composite Materials: Polymer Matrices: Ways of Classifying Polymers. Thermosets and Thermoplastic Polymers. Polymer morphology. Microstructure. Effect of Deformation on...
COURSE CONTENT Definitions, basic considerations, non-uniform loading conditions, characteristic dimensions, degradation of strength and stiffness, general description of the design methodology of damage tolerance....