- Kostopoulos Vassilis
Academic position: Professor
1980: Degree in Mechanical Engineering (Dip. Eng.), National Technical University of Athens, Greece
1987: PhD in Applied Mechanics (Wave Propagation & Scattering, Non – destructive testing of Composite Materials), University of Patras, Greece
- 1994 – 1996: Visiting Scientist, JRC Petten, The Netherlands, Institute for Advanced Materials, EU
- 2018 Visiting Professor, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Center for Composite Materials, University of DELAWARE, USA.
- Member of the States Representative Group (SRG) of JTI ‘CLEAN SKY 2’ (2014-2020), and Vice President of SRG.
- Member of CS3 Preparation Group, Explore & Mature Working Group, 2019.
- 2011-today Member of the Advisory Council for Aviation Research and innovation in Europe (new ACARE).
- Elected Member of the Council of the European Society for Composite Materials (ESCM), and President of the Council.
- 2003 – 2011 Member of the Advisory Council for Aeronautics Research in Europe (ACARE).
- Member of the National States Representative Group (NSRG) of JTI ‘CLEAN SKY’ (2008-2014).
- 2003 – 2006 National Delegate of FP6 Aerospace Program Committee
- 2007-2013 National Delegate of FP7 Transport (including Aeronautics) Program Committee
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal ‘Composite Science and Technology’
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal ‘Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures’
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal ‘Research & Reviews in Polymers’
- Associate Editor of the ‘International Journal of Aerospace Engineering’ (2008-2014)
- Reviewer in more than 45 International Scientific Journals
- Evaluator of research proposals (EU, UK, Belgium, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Romania, Greece and Cyprus)
- Member of the International evaluation board of Romanian Research Centers (INCAS and COMOTI)
(a) Vector Mechanics for Engineers (I. Static, II. Dynamics), (b) Experimental Mechanics of Composite Materials, (c) Thermo-mechanical behavior of Composite and Ceramic Materials, (d) Micro-Macro Mechanical Behavior of Composite Materials, (e) Non-Destructive Testing and Non-Destructive Inspection, (f) Wave Propagation and Scattering in Layered Media, (g) Sensors and Signal Analysis, (h) Materials for Aeronautic Applications, (i) Damage Tolerance Design, (j) Space Technologies.
(a) Advanced Dynamics, (b) Fatigue and Fracture Behavior of Composite materials and Structures, (c) Ceramic Matrix Composites, (d) Wave propagation and Scattering Theory, (e) Mathematical Theory of Elasticity, (f) Anisotropic Elasticity
Design, Analysis and Optimization of Composite (lightweight) Structures.
Non-Destructive Inspection & Evaluation of Engineering Structures, Structural Health Monitoring.
Nano-augmentation, Nano-engineering and Nano-design of structural composites.
Biomechanics & Bioengineering (implants design, 2 and 3D scaffolds, stress analysis, wear and fretting fatigue)
Fracture and Fatigue of Composites Materials and Structures.
Blast, impact and crash behavior of Aerospace Structures, high strain rate effects on metals and composites.
Anisotropic Elasticity, Anisotropic Damage Theory.
Wave Propagation and Scattering in Continuous Media. Non-Linear Acoustics.
Life cycle analysis of composite components and structures
Space Technologies and Micro & Nano Satellites
205 publications in international referee Journals
291 presentations in International Conferences
7 books (5 International and 2 in Greek)
16 chapters in international books
71 technical reports
41 Invited Lectures in International Conferences and International events
CITATIONS (google scholar): 4266
i10 index: 100
International Research Projects (since 2000): Scientific Coordinator (Greek participation) and Principal investigator for 73 International Research Projects, (EU, ESA, EDA, NSF, USAF and Industrial ones).
Co-organizer of 59 International Conferences
Main Supervisor of 31 completed PhD theses
Supervisor of 161 MSc theses
Patents: 3 European, 1 US and 7 National
RECENT AWARDS (since 2018)
- 1st Senior Scientist Award, in TRA-VISIONS 2020 Senior Researcher Competition, Transport Research Arena, Helsinki, 2020.
- Communication Award, Aerospace Challenge 2018/2019, ESA Educational Office, EXPRESS – EUROPEAN MULTI-PURPOSE REUSABLE SPACEPLANE, Paris, June 2019.
- 1st Innovation Award, UK innovation competition organized by Accelerate ME 2018/19 programme, December 2018.
- 2nd prize of the International CubeSat and Mission Contest, Northwestern Polytechnical University, Xi’an, November 2018.
ΜΜ11 | CERAMIC MATRIX COMPOSITES
Μεταπτυχιακός Κύκλος Σπουδών | Κεραμικά Σύνθετα Υλικά Ceramic materials in general have a very attractive package of properties: high strength and high stiffness at...
COURSE CONTENT Introduction The role of technical writing in business, industry, studies and research Characteristics of correct technical writing: The writing process Assessment of...
COURSE CONTENT Kinematics of Particles: Introduction to Dynamics, Rectilinear Motion of Particles, Position, Velocity, and Acceleration, Determination of the Motion of a Particle, Uniform...
Introduction to Composite Materials
COURSE CONTENT The Nature of Composite Materials: Polymer Matrices: Ways of Classifying Polymers. Thermosets and Thermoplastic Polymers. Polymer morphology. Microstructure. Effect of Deformation on...
Wave propagation and scattering
COURSE CONTENT Introduction, link with non-destructive testing, ultrasonic method, Acoustic Emission (AE) method, correlation with wave propagation and scattering. Definitions, homogeneous and non-homogeneous waves,...
Damage Tolerance Design
COURSE CONTENT Definitions, basic considerations, non-uniform loading conditions, characteristic dimensions, degradation of strength and stiffness, general description of the design methodology of damage tolerance....
Experimental Characterization of Composite Materials
COURSE CONTENT Experimental characterization of thermomechanical properties of orthotropic layer of fibrous composites (Basics of anisotropic theory of elasticity). Engineering elastic constants, Effect of...