ΜΜ24 | Analytical and Experimental Methods of Non-Destructive Evaluation of Materials and Structures
Postgraduate Courses | Computational and Experimental Engineering and Advanced Materials
- Introduction, link with non-destructive testing, ultrasonic method, Acoustic Emission (AE) method, correlation with wave propagation and scattering.
- Definitions, homogeneous and non-homogeneous waves, propagation, reflection, refraction, scattering. Damping-Attenuation, Wave Conversion.
- Wave density in space and time (Wavelength, wavenumber), phase velocity.
- Wave Equation in 3 dimensions, plane waves, equipotential surfaces, characteristic equation, dispersion, attenuation.
- Elastic waves, isotropic homogeneous material and what types of waves can propagate, determination of phase velocities and polarization vectors.
- Anisotropic materials, determination of propagation velocities and polarization vectors of elastic waves on anisotropic media, slowness curves.
- Oblique incidence, Snell’s law, critical incidence angles, reflection and refraction factors between two semi-infinite media.
- Definition of Group Velocity, differences from phase velocity.
- Plate waves, Natural significance, types, solutions, dispersion curves, applications.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes